Tips to Stay Warm During the Cold
When is this cold weather going to let up? Many of us are wishing for the spring season already. We all could use some warmth. But with temperatures still dipping low, we would have to think of ways to keep ourselves warm.
Here are 9 simple tips on how you can keep warm this cold season.
Nine Tips to Keep Warm This Winter
1. Wear layers of dry clothing. Layers and layers of dry clothing will help keep your body warm. Wearing several thin layers of clothing does a better job in keeping you warm than just having one thick layer as the layers trap in warm air.
2. Wear mittens. Mittens actually provide more protection from the cold than gloves. You can however, wear mittens and then cover them up with a pair of gloves.
3. Go inside if you get wet. Don’t delay going inside and changing into dry clothes when you get wet. By wearing wet clothes, your body temperature will drop (and therefore, make you feel cold). If you anticipate getting wet, or even sweating, we highly recommend carrying extra dry clothes through your day.
4. Cover all body parts when heading outdoors. Before you turn the knob and bolt out the door, make sure that all your body parts are well-covered. Remember that wind chills of 15 – 30 below can get your exposed skin frostbitten in just a matter of minutes (which during this winter, is not far off!). So before you run outside, be sure to cover up as much as possible.
5. Keep moving. Don’t just sit still or lie around in bed. It is rather tempting. But to keep your body warm, try to keep on moving when you are indoors. Avoid sitting still for more than 1 hour. If you are having difficulties walking around your home, doing chair-based exercises is a good idea. The simple act of moving your arms and legs and even getting your toes to wiggle can rev up circulation.
6. Wear warm clothes for bed. With the temperatures continuing to drop, thermal underwear, socks, and a hat can keep you warm as you sleep in. A hat in bed? The cold weather calls for some unconventional yet functional fashion. Did you know that you lose a lot of heat via your head? A hat can keep that heat in. So a hat in bed? With the freezing temperatures continuing to rage, we say “Oh yes”!
7. Eat well. Make sure that you are eating enough during the cold days of winter. Hot meals and hot drinks should be in order. Soup up and drink up hot drinks to keep warm. Make it a point to have at least one hot meal each day and drink lots of hot drinks throughout the day. Make sure that your meals include a wide range of fruits and vegetables so that your body is receiving essential nutrients.
8. Have a hot drink before putting the night cap on. It will also be a good idea to have a hot drink in a flask by your bedside. Remember that as you sleep, your body temperature drops and you might wake up feeling cold. So the flask in your bedside with a hot drink can be handy.
9. Keep your home warm. Cover all drafty doors and install storm doors and windows to keep your home all warm and toasty. Make sure that your home heating system is properly running. A regular tune-up can ensure this.
Stay warm in this freezing weather with these simple tips!
Ready To Get Started?
Call 412.381.0598 to get a free, expert estimate today!
24/7 Service That You Can Count On